Recent comments

• Reply to: Our future: Everything in modulation   1 month 3 weeks ago
  • I got kicked out too. My mistake was getting a job in OLD technology. No demand for it anymore. Now I am back in school getting a CS in the new technology. I had plenty of interviews based on what I learned in the NEW tech (prior to going back to school).

I had zero interviews for old tech. That is more important than age - unless you are trying to get a manual labor job.

Bottom LIne: WE get the govt that WE vote for - socialism is the only solution...

what is happening now is -- capitalism as capitalism was meant to be - only for the rich

I loved this article, but I do not like when labor goes agains labor - labor must stick together and fight management - and labor MUST VOTE FOR LABOR in elections...

OR, we get more republicans - and more republicans means that people die

Reply to: Long-Term Unemployed Baby Boomers in 2013   2 months 3 weeks ago
    EPer:
  • Reply to: Social Securiy 2.0 - How Real Reform Would Look   3 months 1 week ago
    EPer:
  • Really, I was hoping to publish something large in size with FRED Graphic. I am hearing that that is a terrible idea to have any content from FRED even if I do not use FRED links?

Reply to: The Federal Reserve Destroyed Our Site   3 months 2 weeks ago
    EPer:
  • It's a shame what they've done. I'm looking forward to having Econ-Pop back up at some point as it was my most trusted read on the entire internet for any sort of news. I'll keep checking periodically to see how long it takes to get your site back up.

Reply to: The Federal Reserve Destroyed Our Site   3 months 4 weeks ago
    EPer:
  • I sympathize. I loved FRED. Now it's worthless. Why aren't more bloggers complaining about this???

My first visit. I came here by tracking down a "Democracy in America" excerpt on inheritance laws, Numerian's post from 2010. Thanks!

Reply to: The Federal Reserve Destroyed Our Site   4 months 2 weeks ago
  • this week FRED changed the font size on the headers from 13 to 8; the former was too large for graphs with multiple data sets, but these are barely readable: https://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/graph/?graph_id=125150&category_id=0

Reply to: The Federal Reserve Destroyed Our Site   4 months 3 weeks ago
    EPer:
  • seems everytime i check my old posts the graphs have changed; they must be applying changes on the fly without testing them...the latest is that most, if not all, of my bar graphs have been turned into fairly meaningless line graphs, while my explanations of what the bar graphs had meant remains in place..

Reply to: The Federal Reserve Destroyed Our Site   4 months 4 weeks ago
    EPer:
  • Assuming you can't prevail on the St. Louis Fed to return to the old graphics platform, please do whatever you can to render your most important published grafs in an alternate system. This site is too good for me to be indifferent about it shutting down.

Reply to: The Federal Reserve Destroyed Our Site   5 months 2 days ago
    EPer:
  • I finally got to phase one of the site fix. This is going to be slow going and anyone watching, you're probably seeing the FRED disaster get worse and worse, no doubt they are also giving us the finger after the final very public call out, but hey, they ruined our site! Gone is the awesome free factual public analysis!

Anywho, next phase is to disconnect the St. Louis Fed from this site, so I'm looking for replacement graphs. I'm not sure how exactly I am going to do this, I need to do it before publishing new content and I was hoping not to break 3,000 links by destroying 3,000 articles that link to FRED for graphs.

Obviously that cannot be done manually, unless someone has 5 years, this is how long it took to write these.

Reply to: The Federal Reserve Destroyed Our Site   5 months 5 days ago
    EPer:
  • So why is it the government wouldn't want people to have historical data?

Reply to: The Federal Reserve Destroyed Our Site   5 months 5 days ago
    EPer:
  • always have a display for no javascript and always use localized JQuery and not javascript but what the hell.

Anywho, I hope to get the first stage of our site fix this weekend. I'm having an "elder crisis" on top of things and I must absolutely write about that in terms of the economics.

I've had some other geeks who read EP start to email offer to volunteer so maybe between us we can throw together a graphing system. the real problem i see is obtaining easily the actual tabulated data to input into the graphing system. That too is gov. data and it seems disallowing, denying access of data has been going on at other agencies. I think part of that is security, part budget cuts but the reason, hmmm....

At least we're not the only site who is up in arms about what is going on. This really chokes us providing Journalistic level of coverage on economics.

Reply to: The Federal Reserve Destroyed Our Site   5 months 1 week ago
    EPer:
  • the markings across the bottom of my GDP bar graph indicate Q4 2012 for the first quarter of 2012, and Q2 2012 for the third quarter of 2012 (yes, the yearly dates are backwards) and it also includes bars for Q4 2014...then the interactive slider on my income and outlays graph allows me daily readings for PCE and DPI...

edit: i also see the end date for the data on that graph is marked 2019-08-06

Reply to: The Federal Reserve Destroyed Our Site   5 months 1 week ago
    EPer:
  • I even offered to volunteer, which if anyone knows me in "real life", I'm so overqualified and experienced that was quite the gift, yet that too was completely blown off.

Hilarious considering my consulting rate. ;)

I'm getting some solutions going, hopefully will take EP off line this evening to start the 1st phase of the "repair". Going to have to do this in stages and my "real life" I have critical tasks that I must address on top of this disaster.

I promise, EP will survive, we'll keep it going, this is just a critical wound that we have to repair and in terms of offering extensive economic eye candy, that solution is going to take a long time. Now that is real code, real architecture, so honestly I just don't know what i can throw together on it, although I am aware of various open source components that will work as part of a solution, Huge TBD.

Reply to: The Federal Reserve Destroyed Our Site   5 months 1 week ago
  • seriously: https://research.stlouisfed.org/jobopps/developer.html

interest in economics a plus...

Reply to: The Federal Reserve Destroyed Our Site   5 months 1 week ago
    EPer:
  • ha ha ha, something has changed and it is for the better, no wonder people are saying they see no difference.

We'll see, but maybe my public rant actually helped here, I have to do more testing and see but if true, then the issue is just the new graphs.

Basically a page which had a page load speed of 5.84s is now down to 2.88. Now that is not 1.2s which is what it used to be, but for legacy, not in Google news, I can live with 2.88s.

I still have the issue of my super mega fast graphing solution is destroyed but I sure hope they reverted to some of the old engine which would at least "save" in part the 3,000 existing articles.

Will update if true, have to take the site off line and do some testing.

Reply to: The Federal Reserve Destroyed Our Site   5 months 1 week ago
    EPer:
  • I cannot notice a difference. And saying this would have destroyed the site is a wild exageration.

By the way, hit counts should not be influenced by this anyway. Evn if pictures take some time to load, the page is still loaded first.

Reply to: The Federal Reserve Destroyed Our Site   5 months 1 week ago
    EPer:
  • i dont notice a slower load here, while my encumbered browser takes forever on pages from huff post, bloomberg, guardian and especially business insider

i did notice the somewhat distorted graphs on your IP post earlier this week, thought that you were going with it the way it was..

Reply to: The Federal Reserve Destroyed Our Site   5 months 1 week ago
    EPer:
  • This site has over 3,000 articles linking to old FRED graphs, perhaps you are not reading the details to see the distortions or noticing the very slow page load. We're better than others but it's still quite the disaster.

Our site page load speed was under 2 seconds, any post, That's a professional site page load, now it is 5 seconds and worse. That's not acceptable as a news source and our load is super light.

Our hits went from 4k a day with 15k reader spikes to ?? Well this is getting interest but still, 1.5k a day? Yesterday it was down to 200 hits. that's simply noise for readership.

Reply to: The Federal Reserve Destroyed Our Site   5 months 1 week ago
    EPer:
  • The graphs are just terrible, gone is the high resolution so I can show, clearly what I am pointing out in the text.

But due to the overwhelming response, folks, I wll fix this site. Gone is all of the great eye candy until I can build a solution, although our custom graphs I will still try to create.

So, we're going to have to tough it out, I will have to take the site off line, heavy modifications and such,
    but I will keep EP going.

I wonder how many others are flipping out over this, their sites ruined. Looks like anyone who linked to any graph?

Reply to: The Federal Reserve Destroyed Our Site   5 months 1 week ago